- Apply phonics knowledge to decode words and accurately blend sounds in unfamiliar words
- Read all the sounds up to and including phase 5
- Read all 100 common exception words (tricky words)
- Read words with contractions e.g. I'm, I'll, we'll
- Read words ending in -s, -es, -ing, -ed, -er and -est
- Accurately read books that are consistent with their developing phonic knowledge
- Re-read these books to build up fluency and confidence
-Listen to and discuss a wide range of poems, stories and non-fiction at a level beyond that at which they can read independently
- Link what they hear read to their own experiences
- Become familiar with key stories, fairy stories and traditional tales, retelling them and considering their particular characteristics
- Learn to appreciate rhymes and poems and to recite some by heart
- Discuss word meanings
-Check that the text makes sense to them and correct inaccurate reading
-Discuss the significance of the title and events
-Make inferences on the basis of what is being said and done
-Predict what might happen
-Participate in discussion about what is read to them, taking turns and listening to what others say
-Explain clearly their understanding of what is read to them
Unfortunately not the ones with chocolate chips.
Our cookies ensure you get the best experience on our website.
Please make your choice!
Some cookies are necessary in order to make this website function correctly. These are set by default and whilst you can block or delete them by changing your browser settings, some functionality such as being able to log in to the website will not work if you do this. The necessary cookies set on this website are as follows:
A 'sessionid' token is required for logging in to the website and a 'crfstoken' token is used to prevent cross site request forgery. An 'alertDismissed' token is used to prevent certain alerts from re-appearing if they have been dismissed.
We use Matomo cookies to improve the website performance by capturing information such as browser and device types. The data from this cookie is anonymised.
Cookies are used to help distinguish between humans and bots on contact forms on this website.
A cookie is used to store your cookie preferences for this website.Cookies that are not necessary to make the website work, but which enable additional functionality, can also be set. By default these cookies are disabled, but you can choose to enable them below: